Friday, December 14, 2007

Bo Pelini Talks to Reporters in Lincoln

A few tidbits:

-- Pelini said junior running back Marlon Lucky is considering skipping his senior season to declare for the NFL Draft.

Pelini said he'll help Lucky submit paperwork to the NFL College Advisory Committee, a group that helps underclassmen gauge their draft status. Pelini said he'll advise Lucky during the process, but that the final decision is Lucky's.

The deadline for underclassmen to declare for the draft is Jan. 15.

Pelini's opinion?

"That's between me and him," Pelini said. "But I do know this: Unless you are a first-round draft pick, you should come back."

-- Pelini said his coaching staff is "one phone call" from being complete.

"It fell right into place," he said. "I knew what I was looking for. I had a lot of certain things in mind, certain people in mind, in some instances. I was able to accomplish exactly what I wanted to get. The guys I targeted, I got."

-- Pelini clearly is eager to ask Tom Osborne's advice on a variety of matters. "I mean, I ask his advice in a lot of different decisions," Pelini said. "Some things that you may think are very small and trivial, I ask him, 'What do you think here?' Just day-to-day things."

Pelini didn't want to get too specific about the type of things he asks Osborne.

"If anything, I probably drive him crazy sometimes," Pelini said.

-- It's not as if Osborne is trying to run the show, Pelini said. "At no point has he ever said, 'I want you to do this, I want you to do that.' He says, 'You need to do what you see as best.'

"But he makes it clear he's always there to offer his suggestions. I appreciate that."

-- Did Osborne suggest that Pelini hire certain guys on the staff?

"No. He just gave me information. And I asked him for information. I said, 'How do you see it? What is your evaluation?' There's not one person he told me to hire. I'm sure he wouldn't have hired some of the guys I did.

"What he does is provide you with information. And obviously, he has good information."

No comments: